1. Jean Valjean, gnome monk, AD&D 1st ed.
2. Tonus, Sonic demigod, Advanced Marvel Super Heroes
3. Raiza Duun, half-orc fighter/ranger, D&D 3.5
4. Kaasir, Duke of Schisms, Nobilis
5. Blood Eagle, winged Norse superhero, Advanced Marvel Super Heroes
6. Judas Benzand, Lord of Chaos, Amber
7. Carolan Elfsbane, human archer, GURPS Fantasy
8. William Ross O’Donnell, professor of Near Eastern Studies, Call of Cthulhu 4th ed.
9. Sabbas Shiyol, Urban Adept, Star Wars D20
10. Luqman, Prince of Amber, Amber
11. Alisdair O’Donnell, bizarre Garou/Vampire hybrid, (old) World of Darkness
12. Malachi Moonchild, bounty hunter, Star Wars D6
1) Who would make a better college professor: 6, or 11?
6. Judas is the head of a pacifist scholastic society whose goals include founding universities and technical schools throughout Shadow.
2) Do you think 2 is hot? How hot?
Sure. I mean, he’s a demigod and meant to be a paragon of human physical perfection.
3) 12 sends 8 on a mission. What is it, and does it succeed?
Probably off to find some weird alien artifact that winds up being Yog-Sothoth’s orichalcum slippers. O’Donnell succeeds in that he winds up with at least 50% of his limbs intact and only 2d6 months in a sanitarium, which is pretty damn good for a CoC character in any universe.
4) What is, or would be, 9's favourite book?
"How to Win Friends and Conquer Republic Space Without Anyone Realizing Until It’s Way Too Late To Stop You."
5) Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Hmm, that’s a tough one. In the alternate Marvel Universe my group and I ran, Tonus was part of a continuum of entities on par with Thanos or the Watchers: his worst enemies were his siblings because they were on par with him and those who used magic, because his family was not immune to it at all.
But Judas is a freaking Prince of Chaos in the Amber universe and he’s Mandor’s only son. Judas doesn’t even swear fealty to the Serpent or the Courts, so a demigod from some Shadow he’s never heard about just isn’t going to impress him.
Mind you, fealty isn’t something that either character cares about. To Tonus, it would be utterly foreign: all things sound-related are already pretty much under his complete domination, and other things don’t matter so much. To Judas, fealty is simply distasteful.
6) For some reason, 5 is looking for a room-mate. Should they share a studio apartment with 9, or 10?
Definitely Luqman (9). Blood Eagle is an exiled Norse warrior with a curse upon him. Luqman is an (early) Ottoman Syrian notable and warrior whose wife was murdered and children kidnaped (though thankfully recovered, safe and sound). They’d both get on well with the honor and soldier background they share, plus have enough sense to appreciate the other’s private anguish without being nosy.
7) 2, 7, and 12 have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
Tonus doesn’t really need to eat, so he doesn’t carer. Carolan’s open for meat, sweet, cooked meat, so Malachi probably convinces him to try this great little cantina on Nar Shadaa with cheap Corellian ale and free bantha fingers with hot dipping sauce.
8) 3 challenges 10 to a duel. What happens?
Raiza uses one of his powerful two-handed axes and attempts his favorite maneuver: Power Attack with a full four strikes. He’s maimed a demon with it with one blow and half-killed a godling, given his enormous strength, specialization in axes, and the decent chance of his rolling a critical within the first couple of rounds.
Luqman was at the time I played him one of the highest ranked in Warfare in the group. An Amberite who’s ranked 3rd in Warfare beats a mid-level D&D fighter in my estimation, especially if the Amberite has his own unbreakable, double damage dealing sword with the weight of an Amberite that’s bothered to boost his Strength up the ranks. Raiza’s probably Chaos level in fighting and *maybe* Amber ranked in strength on a good day.
So Raiza challenges Luqman, who accepts and watches Raiza carefully. He draws his sword without flourish as Raiza whips out his axe and furiously attacks. Luqman blocks a blow to get the measure of Raiza’s strength, sidesteps a blow to guage Raiza’s speed and agility, then steps between the axe and---depending on what the stakes of the duel are and if Luqman has any reason to care about this weird monstrous man who challenged him---either decapitates him or smashes his face with an elbow to knock him down.
9) If 1 stole 8's most precious possession, how would they get it back?
By a harebrained scheme that results in O’Donnell running away in a stolen jalopy and falsifying a police report at the end of it all.
10) Suggest a title for a story in which 7 and 12 both attain what they most desire.
“How I Destroyed the Elfonia System and Won My Own Death Star“
11) What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 and 1 to work together?
Some mysterious being---maybe a Bane, maybe another Noble, or perhaps even the PCs’ mysterious Imperator---starts pulling weird fantasy and mythic creatures and locales into Kaasir’s domain within the Chancel. One of them happens to be an unusual, but fairly ineffective seeming gnome.
The key to solving the mysterious immigrations lies with the Queen of the Djinn, and as it happens, Jean Valjean keeps a djinn in his coat pocket....
12) If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
As Carolan has no skills to speak of other than archery, broadsword, camouflage, and Orcish language, I think once I got bored of learning Orcish swear words, I’d take him out to pizza. As soon as he had to use the john, I’d run to the car, drive home, and bolt the doors.
13) If you could command 3 to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
Teach me how to wield an axe, I suppose.
14) Does anyone on your friends list write or draw 11?
15) If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, which would it be?
Tough call. Tonus has more in common with Kaasir, who is essentially a demigod itself, but Blood Eagle is far more noble and sympathetic. Probably that would edge out and Tonus would side with him.
16) What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
Nothing, unless he thought a scream out of nowhere would give him a momentary advantage. Luqman doesn’t chat during battle, though; it strikes him as stupid and inefficient use of breath.
17) If you chose a song to represent 8, which song would you choose?
“Last Exit For the Lost” by Fields of the Nephilim
18) 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
Jean, the gnome monk. Judas would let it go as soon as he saw others reaching it, even though he has the strength and speed to take it first if he wanted. Malachi and Jean are probably both as nimble, but Jean has a djinn assassin/illusionist sidekick (Calvin) who always is hanging about invisibly. Calvin would either get the pancake first or stab Malachi’s hand to the table, upon which Jean would take the pancake (and wipe off any blood if necessary!).
19) What might be a good pick-up line for 2 to use on 10?
Whatever Tonus wanted to appear as the epitaph on his tombstone, I suppose.
20) What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Given that he’s homeless, probably vagrancy or assault (he has a strong code of honor, but it doesn’t quite fit into what’s legal behavior in NYC).
21) What is 6's secret?
He would destroy the Serpent and Unicorn if he could.
22) If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Depends: Alisdair in his wolf form is much faster than the rather worldly Sabbas, especially if Alisdair spends points from his Blood Pool to up his speed. But Sabbas has a tricked-out swoop and a Corellian freighter; either one of those trounces a bloodsucking furball.
23) If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 or 8?
Let’s see: blooded scout and soldier or gentleman professor. Yeah, I think it’s obvious.
24) 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4's sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that he/she is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fic?
“How Nobilis Characters Can F*ck With PCs of Any Other Genre With Impunity (Except Maybe Amber)”